Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Jordan's, Playstation 4, and Labron James

Contemporary Icons
           
            The three contemporary icons that first came to mind for this era of popular culture is Michael Jordan tennis shoes, Play station 4, and the great King Labron James. It seems to me that these three pop culture icons arrive in many of the conversations I have with the adolescent groups I work with on a weekly basis through a youth program called Ambassadors. I realize how important fashion is to everyone in this new day and age, because it can easily define one’s personality as well as their popularity. My reasoning for choosing the Nike Air Jordan tennis shoes is because of the demand for the shoe on every release date. Last month I took a trip to Eastland mall here in Columbus Ohio, with my son to purchase him a pair of Jordan’s he has been wanting for a while. Every store that sold Jordan’s told me they were sold out of the shoe within the first hour of opening. I thought to myself, WOW that’s a lot of money the Jordan brand company just made. Then one of the employees from the shoe stores randomly told me the price of the shoes, he said they were priced at $245.00. I couldn’t believe it.
           
Speaking of high demand priced items, I recently purchased a Playstation 4 video game console which abused my pockets for over $400. Needless to say I brought it with no hesitation. I tried to purchase the game during this past Christmas season but I had to be on a waiting list. People of all ages all around the world were excited about this gaming console; it’s a huge money & marketing business. I won’t lie; I get really excited myself when the really highly anticipated games come out for it. One of my all time favorite games on the Playstation console is NBA2k, because it allows me to gain control of a living basketball legend Labron (King) James.

            Labron (King) James is also a popular contemporary icon standing at 6 ft 8 in and weighing in at roughly 250 lbs, starting at the small forward position for the Miami Heat. In 2003 James was the first overall pick in the NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers, and led them to the playoffs every year until he moved to the Miami Heat. Since then he has won a couple of championship titles, multiple MVP awards, and has one of the highest selling collection of shoes in Nike’s history. He is also one of my favorite players because he was born and raised in Ohio.  

No comments:

Post a Comment